Stephenville businessman upset with Canada Post mail processing

Frank
Frank Gale

Stephenville businessman Bob Byrnes holds the envelope that took 41 days to come from Washington, D.C., to Stephenville.

Bob Byrnes is upset with Canada Post and what he calls an inefficiency in developing policies for processing the mail.

On Dec. 9, the businessman said a Christmas gift sent to him was processed at a post office in Washington D.C. The gift, a Christmas-tree decoration, only arrived in Stephenville on Jan. 19.

Byrnes said 41 days to ship a package that distance is excessive and is truly “snail mail.”

The owner of Stephenville Embroidery and Cresting said he finally received a package Friday that was processed in Vanleek Hill, Ont., on Jan. 8. According to tracking information, the parcel bypassed Stephenville and arrived in St. John's on Wednesday. He said the package containing 20 hockey jerseys was processed in St. John's the same day, and took two days to get from St. John's to Stephenville.

Byrnes feels the decision to move the sorting of parcels from Stephenville to St John's is a contributing factor to Canada Post’s poor delivery performance. He’s written to MP Judy Foote asking her Office of Public Services and Procurement, which includes Canada Post, to investigate the decision.

“The Stephenville sorting facility was obviously working much better than the current operation developed by some budding genius currently with Canada Post,” he said.

Byrnes said a great deal of money was spent on the Stephenville facility so parcels entering Newfoundland would get processed and delivered to customers in a timely manner.

“What we have now is a second-rate system that will certainly cause Canada Post to lose customers,” Byrnes said, adding former prime minister’s knack for appointing incompetents wasn’t limited to the Senate.

Despite repeated calls to Canada Post’s local area superintendent Friday, there was no answer or returned messages.

Twitter: WS_FrankGale

Organizations: Canada Post, Office of Public Services

Geographic location: Stephenville, St. John's, Washington D.C. Vanleek Hill Newfoundland

Comments

Comments

Stephen Redgrave
    January 27, 2016 - 17:05

I put a parcel in the mail about 12" square bound for Montreal on a Saturday afternoon at Lawtons. It arrived in Montreal on nthe very next Tuesday. One day service to Montreal from here. I was --blown away. It's not always bad service.

• justin case
    January 26, 2016 - 10:16

Ramona....life is easier when you do on line banking, referring to your Visa accounts etc. Most business can be done on line in todays world. At times it is easier to bypass Can. Post and save on your stress level.

• Sherry Garcin
    January 26, 2016 - 09:32

Just paid $70 for 3 small - very light-weight packages to be sent from Halifax to Corner Brook - was shocked at the price! Really? $70

• Ev
    January 25, 2016 - 06:46

And for this great service they keep raising rates. lol

• Ramona
    January 24, 2016 - 08:46

I have a file of complaints at Canada Post. Mail we never received, mail that we have gotten that is addressed elsewhere. I have even thrown mail not for my address back in the mail box to be redirected and have gotten the same piece of mail back several time. It is only when I write on the envelope to please read address this is wrong address do it finally go away. Cannot say where it goes but I finally get rid of it. I have multiple pieces of mail go missing including visa bills which I am 100% sure was sent to me. After multiple phone calls to Canada Post and assurance "it will be checked into" I am back into the same issues a month later. The worse service by far of any company I have ever dealt with

• Pegger
    January 24, 2016 - 08:33

It took almost a month for my nieces to receive their Christmas cards and only got them days ago. ..sent from Winnipeg to St. John's. Completely ridiculous!!!!

• James
      January 25, 2016 - 14:58

As was our problem - St. John's to Edmonton. Had it on a tracker - sitting for 2 weeks in Montreal. Made it to Edmonton in almost 4 weeks.

• Pegger
    January 24, 2016 - 08:32

• Anon
    January 23, 2016 - 22:23

I have had several parcels take 3 days to reach Paradise from St. John's & one took 5 days. This is at most a 20 min. drive! The weather was good & Christmas was over. Canada Post has terrible service!

• dave k
    January 23, 2016 - 13:39

bob's always complaining about something

• Mark
    January 23, 2016 - 10:18

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with Canada Post. Your package could have been stuck somewhere and then only found in the next maintenance cycle. Workers are only doing what they are told and they are afraid of going even an extra inch. As the maintenance technician I was forced out of work for protecting our safety. You can read all about it here; www.cpcintegrity.ca I have written to the minister, Judy Foote as well and I’m waiting for her response.