Let’s get to it and become involved

The cornerstone of any democracy is listening to and learning from opposing views. Provincial Liberal leader Dwight Ball was on television over the holidays as the subject of a media interview in which he extolled the virtues of a provincial Liberal Party on the upswing in the popular vote.

Regardless of where you stand on the political spectrum it can’t be denied that a strong opposition party is needed. The numbers are showing lately that the popularity of the Conservative government is on the decline at the same time the Liberals are gathering speed. Choice is a good thing. It keeps the ruling party in check while providing a voice for everyone else.

So if the polls are right and we are about to get a more solid opposition party after years of consistent ruling by another party, perhaps it’s time to work on getting ourselves to the polls when there’s an election.

Figures from Elections Canada show this province to be one of the worst in the country in terms of voter turnout. Excuses heard include knowing who will win anyway and not really caring.

It’s time to make it a New Year’s resolution to start caring. There are a lot of decisions coming our way that could affect the next 50 years. If we don’t take interest, someone else will and we probably won’t like the results.

Regardless of which party you support there is no excuse for not being involved in the voting process.

That goes for the local level too. Instead of sitting around complaining about something that wasn’t done, get in touch with the people who are charged with getting it done. Or if you think you can do a better job, get involved.

The new year means new possibilities and new ways of thinking, or at least it should. Let’s start by being better citizens and helping to get some work done.

Organizations: Liberal Party, Elections Canada

Comments

Comments

• Larry
    January 06, 2014 - 16:50

Hello John, you like to know what do I do for a living, Little brief history first. I got lay off from a government job some years back. Out of work with, with a family. Then I decides to go back to school and get a trade, Took four years to complete. Then ending up working for a company from the mainland, some years later, Got layoff. I was lift with a choice to leave for the mainland, or stay at home. I wasn't going any where, wife ask me what are we going to do. With out five cents in my pocket, I decides to start my own business, some 20 years later, My products are sold all across N & L, also into the mainland. What I'm saying just because you get layoff from a job. Don't sit down cry over it. Get moving you be surprise what you can do. Now John tell me what do you do for a living?

• Larry
    January 06, 2014 - 08:23

John I will be more then happy to answer your question. when I see your complete comment posted.

• Larry
    January 04, 2014 - 07:36

Sorry John, Do you know the meaning of democracy? because if you did, it didn't take place in July/ 2013. As for the PC's laying of some public service workers, We just got to many of them walking around with their hands in there pockets. Those who didn't get lay off, time for them to pull up their boots strap. and do some work for my tax dollars. As for transparency, you're never live long enough, for the liberals to be transparent.

• John
      January 05, 2014 - 13:12

Sorry Larry, I would love to know for sure what you did for a living . Hiding behind a rock and sniping at public servants shows me the caliber of personality you have become. Nuff said.

• Linda
    January 01, 2014 - 16:40

I'm in the world over sixty years plus, at no time did I ever miss election, was always there to vote, But in 2013 everything change for me, not though my doing, But by the provincial liberal party, when freedom of choice was taken from the people, who they could of chosen as leader. Then people wonder why the voters turn out is so low. Question is, who do we trust? Donna are you trying to say Mr Ball and the liberals are more honest - transparency then the PCS party?

• John
      January 02, 2014 - 10:17

Sour grapes Linda. The population has had enough of provincial PC's. They had their chance during the last 11 years. Huge deficits because they were incompetent, Thousand laid off in the public service along with service cuts to Newfoundlanders. Lack of transparency with Muskrat Falls project. Ram it down their throats whether they want it or not. Downsized hospital at Corner Brook and not what was promised by Mr. Marshall after all he did show us the artists conception of it and it no longer looks the same. The polls show that Kathy Dunderdale and the provincial PCs are no longer relevant. By the way the provincial leadership was democratic with Dwight Ball being best alternative, ordinary Newfoundlanders choose this. Linda change is good and democracy demands it.....

• david
    January 01, 2014 - 13:44

That is simply not who we are.....too bad, but an intractable, genetic, historic fact. We are partisan fools and political addicts, and yet completely incapable of turning such "passion" into anything resembling shrewd strategies or savvy card-playing. It really is the worst possible situation. We'd be much, MUCH better off ignoring politics altogether than spending all waking moments, as we collectively do, being so petulant and childishly fixated by it.

• Donna Thistle