We should have, and need, west coast development

Dear Editor: I read in The Western Star on Tuesday, Aug. 26, a letter by Trina Burden saying the west coast needs safe oil and gas development. I couldn’t agree more, other than to say we need more than oil and gas.

We have the potential for many projects on this part of the island. If all the projects that have been talked about were being developed, we would be just as well off as our neighbours on the Avalon.

We have an abundance of oil waiting to be developed, we had reports of a mining project near the Burgeo/Buchans Highway anno-unced about three years ago saying it could be as large as Voisey’s Bay — if I understood correctly.

I haven’t heard a word about that in ages.

Imagine what a project of that magnitude would do for the St. George’s/ Stephenville area, and really, the whole west coast. Not a word was heard from either of the aspiring politicians running for the seat in the St. George’s area about any developments.

What about the proposed wind farm production site for the Corner Brook area? Is that gone by the wayside also?

I feel it’s time politicians from the whole west coast got their teeth into some of these potential projects. We need development to get things going in the right direction.

We see the City of Corner Brook not moving ahead at a very rapid pace, but we have potential on the west coast to change that.

We need the people in command to take charge of what we could have and get things moving. I don’t bring those issues forward for myself — we need to get things done for the benefit of our young people.

It would give them an opportunity for good-paying jobs, a place to live and raise their families, not like today with a large majority of our population living on the good fortune of places like Ontario, Alberta, overseas, etc.

I am not advocating that we develop those oil fields at all cost, it must and can be done safely without damage to our environment.

Congratulations to Scott Reid on his election victory.

He now has some authority and it’s his chance to look into some of those proposed developments and get things moving.

It would be a tremendous boost for the area. Remember a general election is less than a year away.

Harley Anderson, Meadows

Organizations: Dear Editor

Geographic location: Western Star, Corner Brook, Burgeo Voisey Stephenville Ontario Alberta

Comments

Comments

• Sam
    September 02, 2014 - 11:19

Buster Garvick, U joker, you sound like a liberals MHA's, looking for a free ride.

• Buster Garvick
    September 01, 2014 - 10:08

If you think it's government's mandate to fritter away taxpayers' dollars on make-work projects by funding hare-brained schemes in remote locales then you're just part of the problem.

• Susan
    September 01, 2014 - 04:52

Lonewolf, why didn't you put your name forward like Mr Murphy did, for verification. Then your comment would have hold water, but since your hiding under a false " Identity ". There nothing to talk about.

• Charles Murphy
    August 31, 2014 - 16:46

@ Just wondering, Forget about ROC and Chinese, that kind of thinking keep us in the " Dark ". Has for living in a " Dream World " can't be me. Because I did take the time, and research everything , Just wondering, please check your heating system, get back to me. what part of China did its come from?

• Charles Murphy
    August 31, 2014 - 16:36

@ Lone wolf, LOL...Really...If you had to take the time, and check out my past work " Experience ' your would be " Amazed ". I would be quiet happy to sit down, and talk to you about fracking...

• just wondering
    August 31, 2014 - 10:38

Who do you think will buy our products Mr. Murphy? How can we possible compete with the ROC and Chinese imports? The only exports to the rest of the world that we can sell economically are our fish and our oil. You're living in a dream world.

• Lonewolf
    August 30, 2014 - 08:41

Charles Murphy, what do you know about fracking, I have been doing it for years and it isn't harmful like the propaghandis would have you believe it is, I live in Northern Bc where there are thousands of fraced wells and there has been no problems. The reason there is nothing happening in NL is because everytime some company tries to develop something, someone starts scare mongering and the people themselves put a stop to it. Fracing is not like people say it is. The people in NL believe everything they hear without knowing anything about it, I know because I was one of them, then I moved out west and realized that the reason nothing is happening in NL is because the people don't want anything to develop. If you want the truth , go to Northern BC and see for yourself and don't listen to others and their BS.

• Too Funny
    August 29, 2014 - 08:37

"We need the people in command to take charge". Two of the three tory premiers were Corner Brook MHAs. If they didn't do it when the money was flowing then what makes you think the next government will do it now that we're cash strapped again.

• Charles Murphy
    August 29, 2014 - 05:58

Harley, I have to agree with you, we need " Development " , But fracking isn't one of them. Sir like I keep saying, were shipping in nearly " Billion " dollars of products per year. That can be manufactured right here at home, putting some " 30.000 " people to work, Only thing were lacking, is leadership.