Pay meter introduced to TheWesternStar.com today

TC
TC Media

Subscribers to The Western Star will have an all-access pass, which will give them full access to the print, e-edition as well as the website at no additional cost.

CORNER BROOK — The Western Star is introducing a pay meter on its website today. TheWesternStar.com has made switch this morning.

All features on TheWesternStar.com remain free until the amount of features read reaches six pages for a 30-day period, at which time The Star will invite the reader to become a digital subscriber. To continue reading breaking news, in-depth stories, opinion pieces, videos, photo galleries and reader comments, non-subscribers can sign up for a digital-only subscription.

It's important to remember that all current subscribers won't have to pay anything extra and will continue to have complete access to The Western Star across all platforms: paper, e-edition and the website. The “all-access pass” will give subscribers unrestricted website usage, moving them past the metered controls.

The homepage, section headers and advertising features on TheWesternStar.com will be free throughout for everyone, and not count toward the metered content.

The Western Star’s website remains one of the most dominant websites in the province, reaching more than 100,000 unique visitors and nearly one million pageviews every month. It offers exclusive content and provides readers with a balanced, objective read in navigating the issues that matter most to them.

The Western Star joins a long list of news organizations in Canada and the United States to charge for access to their websites.

Organizations: The Star

Geographic location: Western Star, Canada, United States

Comments

Comments

• Goodbye
    January 27, 2014 - 08:39

This is purely a business decision. Magazines & newspapers that have implemented similar systems have found that they can still reap benefits from advertisers via online ads & gouge customers who allow them to charge the rates they do. There are cheaper alternatives to this and places to read the content. It's just convenient to come here. I will NEVER subscribe until you offer me an online version that's free from ads. Goodbye, God bless, hope you go broke.

• Steve
    January 24, 2014 - 01:39

if you need to charge $8 / month for this content in digital format, then you guys are doing something really, really wrong. I'll admit I'll miss the read, but come on, 8 bucks a month? I just paid $15 bucks a month to nextissue.ca for unlimited access to nearly every magazine I would buy in print. there is a small amount of local content here that's valuable, nearly everything else is here only because you print it on paper. rethink the price point and I would reconsider a subscription.

• Peter Rowsell
    January 24, 2014 - 00:38

If we pay to look at your website how much do you pay me when I don't get the paper that I already paid you for in advance?

• Far From Home
    January 23, 2014 - 10:22

I've been away from Corner Brook for the past 39 years. I've enjoyed staying in touch by reading the Western Star online since you started posting. I guess I'll just have to leave well enough alone. As IAMtheJIB pointed out, I already pay to read by being a consumer. I won't pay more for the less.

• Dave
    January 23, 2014 - 09:55

Well, good-bye Western Star then! If I have to pay for an online newspaper, it will be one with more content. Sayonara, see ya latah!

• IAMtheJIB
    January 23, 2014 - 09:14

I'm one of many of your current readers that will not pay for AD supported content on the internet. Remove all ADs from paid content and I will gladly subscribe but until then I will not read here. Don't get me wrong, I won't stop reading the actual site content. TCM content is syndicated and each and every article is available elsewhere for free, as well it's all available via full feed RSS. Good luck with the new format.